The Phantom Princess.

They come and go like seasons. Here for a few winters, maybe a few summer swims, and a slight time for viewing of the leaves changing in autumn. You hold precious memories with them so far back you feel you've been changed a thousand times since those days. Your visions change and you part into separate ways. The only catch is that you made a pact to never part. You were in this for life. So what happens when you loose each other?

A best friend is someone you would give your life for. A person who knows you backwards and forwards. This person accepts you for every mistake you've ever made and already forgives you for ones you'll make tomorrow.

I had a best friend for a long time. We met in third grade on a field trip. After that day, we never we apart. The years went on...elementary school, middle school, high school, and then it faded during my first few college semesters. Along those years we had many falling outs of course, but we always patched things up. Looking back, I could see how far apart we were getting. Our views and goals weren't the same anymore. Our interests were so opposite they couldn't attract any longer. The fights and nagging got worse when we both had boyfriends. We replaced each other with another. I think it was because we knew the end was near.

Our last, and final, falling out was in January. I was always the one to keep the relationship together. Our personalities were just so different. People could never understand why we were best friends. Some people just aren't made to get along. We proved them wrong for 11 years. Throughout the years I just couldn't muster up the courage to not claim our best friendship. I had close friends during our friendship other than her, but I would feel guilty about replacing her with someone else. The drama and neglect got so bad one night in January I spoke up and confronted her about something she did that really betrayed me. I haven't spoken a word or seen her since that night.

Since then, I never though I'd replace her again. It's like being married in a way. It's a commitment to love and care and look after each other. She didn't see it that way. I ended up just being someone to use. It made me not want to trust anyone else again. Just like all my dating relationship issues; they all build up.

I had another childhood friend whom I had caught back up with about 2 years ago or so. I started going to her church and we ended up having many of the same friends and I didn't even realize it. Over the past 6 months, or so, we got really close. I never believed I could have that best friendship chemistry with anyone ever again. She proved me wrong.

Such a beautiful young woman. Her heart is as pure as an angel. She teaches me so much about compassion and kindness; things I never was taught. We laugh and have such amazing times that I never thought I could have again. She is so special to me and it's a beautiful day every time we share moments together. I hate seeing her cry. I hate seeing her upset. Today, she had to do the most heartbreaking task a woman has to do; end a very bad, but serious, relationship. She had been dating a guy off and on for three years. I never did fancy him too much, but I never said anything too much about it. Over the past few months he started changing for the worst. He controls her to the point of what she wears, who she sees, and where she goes. He would become over bearing and overly protective over things where she should have her independence. She doesn't act the same around him as her family and friends. I spoke up about it all about 2 weeks ago when it really just started becoming a huge issue. I asked her about everything under the sun. She would have to lie to him about simple things like hanging out with me or going to feed her horse so he wouldn't get upset. Even things like calling every time she went somewhere or when she changed plans about doing something minor like attending classes or going to lunch or out to the coffee shop.

Myself, along with a few of our other friends, and her family finally knocked some sense into her head about all this. She was brainwashed. Now, don't get me wrong, this guy is kind and has several good qualities about him. However, she deserves better and deserves to be herself. Changing for someone else isn't what needs to be done to preserve a relationship. Hiding or changing your personal identity to please someone else is identity murder in my book. As I type this, she's sleeping on my couch. I know she'll be reading this, as I helped her set up a blog as she is a great photographer, and I want her to know how much I love her to pieces and how after the rain, she'll feel more alive than ever.

To the best friend I had been searching for all along,
Sharon

Comments

Fireblossom said…
I hope she has the fortitude to stay away from him, because he will work her and try to get or guilt her back. Lucky her to have a bestie like you. :-)
FB- I agree 110%. And thank you.
Chelsea Lynn said…
Im am so lucky to have you as my best friend. You are more like my sister that i never had. I love you so much girl. Thank you for being with me through i very difficult time in my life, i dont know what i would have done if you were there to help me through this. i know the decision i made was the right one and you stuck through it with me. i never had a friend like you. im so proud to have you as my best friend.
love you
~Alice~ <3
Chels- You're welcome and I love you so much! Hope you like the post; it's from the heart. Well, since you're here in my living room I'll talk to you in a few. Mwah!

Popular posts from this blog

I'll always be waiting for you.

But there's another face.

I will not bow.