Curious and curiouser.

"Let me think. Was I the same when I got up
this morning? I almost think I can remember
feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same,
the next question is 'Who in the world am I?'
Ah, that's the great puzzle!"
-Alice in Wonderland-
-Lewis Carroll-
this morning? I almost think I can remember
feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same,
the next question is 'Who in the world am I?'
Ah, that's the great puzzle!"
-Alice in Wonderland-
-Lewis Carroll-
If you haven't seen Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland you are truly missing out on an adventure I have already seen THREE times in the past week!!! Yes. I have officially seen TB's Alice in Wonderland three times since it came out on March 5th. I was even lucky enough to view it in 3D twice, with one viewing in regular 2D!! This movie is SPECTACULAR! I have always been a tremendous fan of Tim Burton's creations such as The Nightmare Before Christmas, Sweeney Todd:Demon Barber of Fleet Street, and The Corpse Bride, but he really outdid himself this time!!! Oh, of course, Johnny Depp was phenomenal as usual!! Along side Tim Burton's wife, Helena Bonham Carter, Anne Hathaway, and virtually unknown star of Alice Kingsley, Mia Wasikowska.
Lewis Carroll, who is the original mind of the madness, was an amazing writer from the 1800's. Many people really don't know his story and how he came about writing about Alice Kingsley. The original animated Disney movie depicts the first of two books written by Carroll; Alice's adventures in Wonderland and it's sequel Through the Looking Glass. His facility at word play, logic, and fantasy has delighted audiences ranging from children to the literary elite, and beyond this his work has become deeply embedded in modern culture, directly influencing many artists.
So, where did this character Alice come from? During one picnic, on July 4, 1862, Carroll started to tell a long story to Alice Liddell (died in 1934), who was the daughter of Henry George Liddell, the head of his Oxford college. Then Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was born from these tales. Originally the book appeared under the title Alice's Adventures Under Ground. The story centers on the seven-year-old Alice, who falls asleep in a meadow, and dreams that she plunges down a rabbit hole. She finds herself first too large and then too small. She meets such strange characters as Cheshire Cat, the Mad Hatter, the March Hare, and the King and Queen of Hearts, and experiences wondrous, often bizarre adventures, trying to reason in numerous discussions that do not follow the usual paths of logic. Finally she totally rejects the dream world and wakes up.
The sequel Through the Looking Class, appeared in 1871. It is perhaps more often quoted than the first, featuring the poems Jabberwocky and The Walrus and the Carpenter. The artist John Tenniel refused to illustrate one chapter in Through the Looking Glass because he thought that it was ridiculous. The chapter was published later in 1872 as The Wasp in a Wig. Carroll himself always wished to be an artist and as a boy he illustrated all the manuscript magazines, which he made for his younger brothers and sisters. Carroll's original drawings for Alice's Adventures Underground were published in 1961. Carroll's life and work has become a constant area for speculation and his exploring of the boundaries of sense and nonsense has inspired a number of psychological studies and novels.
So, there is the HISTORY behind the madness!! I've been fascinated with his works since I was just a young girl. I studied his writings in high school unlike anything I ever studied before. It is truly brilliance with a hint of madness....or is is madness with a hint of brilliance? The world may never know...
My friends have always called me "hatter" in correspondence to Lewis Carroll's Mad Hatter, which is something I treasure being called. In fact, being mad is the best thing to be and all the very best people are!
Have a MAD week everyone!
Lewis Carroll, who is the original mind of the madness, was an amazing writer from the 1800's. Many people really don't know his story and how he came about writing about Alice Kingsley. The original animated Disney movie depicts the first of two books written by Carroll; Alice's adventures in Wonderland and it's sequel Through the Looking Glass. His facility at word play, logic, and fantasy has delighted audiences ranging from children to the literary elite, and beyond this his work has become deeply embedded in modern culture, directly influencing many artists.
So, where did this character Alice come from? During one picnic, on July 4, 1862, Carroll started to tell a long story to Alice Liddell (died in 1934), who was the daughter of Henry George Liddell, the head of his Oxford college. Then Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was born from these tales. Originally the book appeared under the title Alice's Adventures Under Ground. The story centers on the seven-year-old Alice, who falls asleep in a meadow, and dreams that she plunges down a rabbit hole. She finds herself first too large and then too small. She meets such strange characters as Cheshire Cat, the Mad Hatter, the March Hare, and the King and Queen of Hearts, and experiences wondrous, often bizarre adventures, trying to reason in numerous discussions that do not follow the usual paths of logic. Finally she totally rejects the dream world and wakes up.
The sequel Through the Looking Class, appeared in 1871. It is perhaps more often quoted than the first, featuring the poems Jabberwocky and The Walrus and the Carpenter. The artist John Tenniel refused to illustrate one chapter in Through the Looking Glass because he thought that it was ridiculous. The chapter was published later in 1872 as The Wasp in a Wig. Carroll himself always wished to be an artist and as a boy he illustrated all the manuscript magazines, which he made for his younger brothers and sisters. Carroll's original drawings for Alice's Adventures Underground were published in 1961. Carroll's life and work has become a constant area for speculation and his exploring of the boundaries of sense and nonsense has inspired a number of psychological studies and novels.
So, there is the HISTORY behind the madness!! I've been fascinated with his works since I was just a young girl. I studied his writings in high school unlike anything I ever studied before. It is truly brilliance with a hint of madness....or is is madness with a hint of brilliance? The world may never know...
My friends have always called me "hatter" in correspondence to Lewis Carroll's Mad Hatter, which is something I treasure being called. In fact, being mad is the best thing to be and all the very best people are!
Have a MAD week everyone!
Comments
Cheers!